- JOB VACANCY
AABN Foundation is an enterprise development organization that provides business advisory services and innovative training programs for SMEs, Agribusinesses, Youth Groups, and Business Women Enterprise Networks through strategic partnerships, capacity building, creative products and advisory services. AABN is an accredited training partner of the ILO/WEDGE project and a United Success Ambassador. As part of effort to advance our mission, AABN is looking to fill:
POSITION: MANAGER , SUSTAINABLE ABS CORPs/VOLUNTEERS
Assist in the delivery of the organization’s programs and services. This includes directly the sustainable management and operations of volunteers, and/or providing guidance, support, resources and tools to staff who supervise volunteers.
Plan the volunteer program/service
- Develop and implement goals and objectives for the volunteer program which reflect the mission of the organization
- Assess the need for volunteers to enhance program/service delivery
- Develop a budget for the volunteer program activities
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of the programs and services delivered by volunteers and implement improvements as necessary
Organize the volunteer program/service
- Develop, administer, and review policies and procedures which guide the volunteer programs and services, and reflect the overall values of the organization
- Develop and administer forms, agreements and records to document the volunteer activities
- Identify volunteer assignments that provide meaningful work for volunteers and write the volunteer position descriptions in consultation with staff as appropriate
- Promote the volunteer program to gain community support and sponsorship of the volunteer program and the organization
- Develop and implement effective strategies to recruit the right volunteers with the right skills
- Develop and implement an intake and interview protocol for potential volunteers to ensure the best match between the skills, qualification, and interests of the volunteers and the needs of the organization
- Implement a screening process for potential volunteers according to accepted screening standards and practices
Lead the volunteer program/service
- Train staff to work effectively and cooperatively with volunteers
- Orient volunteers to increase their understanding of the organization, its clients, its services and the role and responsibilities of volunteers
- Ensure that volunteers are given appropriate training to be successful in their positions
- Ensure that volunteer check-in procedures are followed and records of volunteer hours are maintained according to established procedures
- Ensure that volunteers receive the appropriate level of supervision
- Assist with conflict resolution among clients, staff and volunteers according to established procedures
- Establish and implement a process for evaluating the contribution of individual volunteers
- Plan and implement formal and informal volunteer recognition activities to recognize the contribution of volunteers to the organization
Control the volunteer program/service
- Evaluate the risks associated with each volunteer position and take appropriate action to control the risks associated with the program or service
- Ensure that volunteers work in a safe, healthy, and supportive environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Evaluate the contribution of each volunteer on an annual basis
- Prepare an annual report on the contribution of the volunteer program to the organization
- Administer and monitor expenditures for the volunteer program against the approved budget
- At least first Degree in any of the following fields, Social Sciences, Human Resource, Community Development, or Adult Education.
- College certificate in Volunteer Management is an added advantage.
- At least 3-5 years of supervisory and or management experience
- Certification from the Canadian Administrators of Volunteer Resourcesor the equivalent association is an asset
- Membership in CAVR, international or the equivalent association is an asset
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Knowledge of current trends, resources and information related to volunteerism
- Knowledge of the management of volunteer resources
Proficiency in the use of computers for:
- Word processing
- Data base management
The Manager of Volunteers should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Behave ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices, and ensure that own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Build relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Focus on client needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Make decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Managers of volunteers work in an office environment, but monitoring the activities of volunteers may sometimes take them into non standard workplaces.
- Managers of volunteers may be required to work some evenings and weekends.
HOW TO APPLY
Application, including a cover letter (not more than 2 pages) with a statement of motivation highlighting the candidate’s experience against the criteria listed above and a CV, including names of three professional referees should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.